Is this blog for me?

Are you bringing up your children in a different culture from the one you grew up in? If so then this blog is for you!

Thursday 17 July 2008

Hours in a Plane

How many hours of my life have I spent in a plane? This was the question our daughter presented at the evening meal a couple of weeks ago. It seems that in a science lesson they had been set the task of figuring out how much radiation they had received in their lifetime. One of the questions was how many hours on average had you spent on a plane each year. When our daughters answer was around the 10 hours per year average it was suddenly evident that there was something different about her!

In my experience of adjusting to cultures there are definitely times when I don't want to stand out. But often these times bring me face to face with the realities that my life is different I've now lived 20 years away from my home culture. One impact of this I've just learned is above average radiation exposure to my children!! And for our daughter this was an exercise that showed her that she was in a category all of her own. I'm sure some of her classmates have never been on a plane.

2 comments:

The Peet Family said...

Whilst believing we are called to our position overseas, we are aware that our 3 children are exposed regularly to potentially fatal diseases such as Malaria, Typhoid and Cholera. They have also spent 4 years of their lives either living in a ship or a house with exposed asbestos. We are either totally unfit parents, or have to believe that all the other experiences they are having make up for it!

Anonymous said...

Wow a bit scary about the radiation thing! Our sons have spent so much time in airports they used to build airports with lego - complete with customs, immigration and metal detectors! Now they just get nostalgic when anywhere near an airport. My 12 year old son just clocked up 15 countries that he has visited and last year he went on an excursion to Germany with a classmate who was making his first trip out of Holland! Now that's hard to believe!!